To qualify for HOFTEL membership, you have to be a company that owns hotels and either rents them out to hotel operators or pays a fee to a hotel management or franchise company on at least a part of your owned portfolio (even if its only one hotel). If you operate hotels for third parties and don’t pay a franchise fee, even if you own your own properties too, sorry, but you’re not eligible for full membership, though associate (non-voting) membership may be possible if you contact HOFTEL. Similarly, interim asset managers without assets of their own cannot be members. HOFTEL is a dedicated group for dedicated hotel owners and franchisees.
HOFTEL offers members the following:
Annual Members’ Summits
We hold three or four annual Members’ Summits, in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia, hosted each time by one of our members, on a rotating basis. These generally have 20-35 participants and provide an opportunity for senior executives from our members, our sponsors and invited guests to mingle in an informal but high-powered environment. These Member Summits have been held in Miami, Chicago, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris, Venice, Helsinki, Edinburgh, Lisbon, Dubai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Pattaya, Singapore, Phuket and Danang
Hotel Owners Journal
A quarterly publication, the journal carries editorial and comment, news about the sector, profiles of members, useful thoughts from our sponsors and value-added “best practice” tips for hotel owners.
Leading Indicator Profiler (LIP)
Data compiled quarterly by HOFTEL and STR Global is used to track key leading indicators. The LIP tracks the two components of RevPar (occupancy and ADR) and the share price of companies listed in London, Madrid, Hong Kong and Singapore. To date, it appears from the LIP data that:
- occupancy trends lead ADR by 6-12 months
- the trend in occupancy is a leading indicator, i.e. if it starts to fall, the downturn is beginning, even if RevPar is still rising or visa versa
- share price inflections trends to track occupancy not RevPar i.e. they move ahead of underlying profitability in the hotels
Regular Networking Event for Members and Sponsors at the main Hotel Conferences
HOFTEL hosts regular events at the major hotel investment conferences. We host dinners with our sponsor Mayer Brown at IHIF in Berlin in March and at HICAP in Hong Kong in October and with our sponsor Bryan Cave at the London Hot.E conference in September. We also hold ad hoc meetings at events like MIPIM, ALIS, NYU, Expo Real in Munich and other conferences or exhibitions where hotel real estate owners gather.
Platform Speaking Positions at Major Conferences
HOFTEL members have the ability to obtain speaking positions at HOFTEL’s own Gulf and Indian Ocean Hotel Investors’ Summit (“GIOHIS”) in Abu Dhabi in February as well as in debates that we run at major conferences, eg recently in Dubai, Bangkok and Singapore.
Access to sponsors
Members have enhanced access to our sponsors are updated with each other’s contact details upon request.
HOFTEL members are offered significant discounts to attend:
- HOFTEL’s own Gulf and Indian Ocean Hotel Investors Summit in Abu Dhabi in February
- HOFTEL’s own upcoming South East Asia Hotel Investors’ Summit in Bangkok
- We also secure discounted entry at specialist conferences like The Distribution Event, the Hotel Alternatives Conference, the Hotel Operations Conference and the Boutique and Lifestyle Hotel Summit
- Members receive a discount of 10% on the annual subscription to Hotel Analyst Magazine and HVS International Europe 10% gives off the normal price an appraisal or feasibility. More discounts will be negotiated over time.